Monday, March 06, 2006

Ave Maria


Summary from the AP:
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Domino's Pizza founder Thomas S. Monaghan, who is helping to bankroll the birth of a Florida town and university, backtracked Friday from comments that he'd like the community to be governed by strict Roman Catholic principles.
The town will not allow adult bookstores or topless clubs. However, it will merely suggest, not prohibit, businesses from selling adult magazines or contraceptives.
Barron Collier executive Blake Gable said homosexuals will be welcome despite the church's belief that homosexuality is a sin.

Read the full article.
View the Ave Maria official Web site.

My thoughts:
I respect all religions and I do not have any strong views on Catholicism, but this kind of freaks me out. I am not 100% sure why, but it just does.

Maybe I don't like this idea because it seems like it will be a segregated little bubble that people live in. Nice, clean, proper, polite, strait-laced and not at all real. Kind of like that movie Pleasantville, or The Stepford Wives.

"Homosexuals will be welcome despite the church's belief that homosexuality is a sin." Oh really? I wonder how welcoming the residents will be to the "sinners". So the town is open to anyone who wants to live there, but why would anyone want to live there if they didn't fit into the mold of the population the founders are trying to attract?

I guess this is similar in some ways to Amish communities, Native American reservations or communes. Occasionally communes go terribly wrong and I believe that happens because they are filled with "insiders" and "outsiders" don't just walk in and take a peak. Yes, I am paranoid!

No comments: