Monday, June 04, 2007

Shadrac gets smacked

On Saturday I was sitting at a red light in Bellevue. I was on my way to pick up nachos to go from Baja for dinner, minding my own business. All of a sudden my head lurches forward, my seatbelt locks and my head smacks back into the head rest. Oh shit someone just rear ended me. Great. I pull over and get out, so does the other driver, a kid (I will call him Stony Baloney) in a nice, fancy, new Denali.

Here's what followed:

Stony Baloney: Oh man, what happened?
Me: A red light "happened".
Stony Baloney: Are you ok?
Me: Yeah, what about you?
Stony Baloney: Yeah.
Me: Ok, get your license and insurance card so we can exchange info.
Stony Baloney: Ok.
Stony Baloney: Your car isn't very nice, are you even going to get it fixed?
Me: (Mouth hanging open in a state of total shock and disgust.) Um, no, I am not going to fix it, YOU are going to fix it.
Stony Baloney: How much is this car worth?
Me: I don’t know, maybe $3,500 or so.
Stony Baloney: Oh, ok, maybe we will just write you a check for it?
Me: Whatever, as long as it gets fixed or replaced I don’t really care how it happens.
Stony Baloney: Do you mind if we settle this without insurance involved?
Me: Like I said, as long as it gets fixed I don’t care how.
Stony Baloney: Ok, cool.
Me: Well, this looks pretty strait forward, you hit me. I am not going to call the cops, do you want to?
Stony Baloney: No.
(I coach him through what he needs to write down for me.)
Stony Baloney: Hey, can you wait to call my parents till tomorrow?
(At this point I guess that he is trying to hold off on getting grounded or losing his car privileges until Sunday, so his Saturday night doesn't get ruined.)

I head off to Baja to get my nachos which are now cold of course. Not only did Stony Baloney wreck my car, he also ruined my nacho dinner which if you know me well is almost as bad as effing up the car.

Luckily he hit our shitty car, the 1994 Nissan Pathfinder that I call Shadrac. We also have a BMW, and two classic cars. So he hit the right car. I am 99% sure that he was ogling a group of girls that were hanging out at the park when he slammed into me.

I woke up on Sunday with a seriously stiff neck and a headache that would not go away. I am trying to ice it a lot and that seems to be helping.

I took Shadrac in for an estimate this morning and the grand total is $1,731.50.

To be continued…

3 comments:

Shannon Perry said...

I'm so sorry that happened to you! Can I just say hooray that (a) you weren't hurt worse and (b) it wasn't Bumble?

NuclearToast said...

Girl, you always call the cops. What if he stiffs you? What if you need medical treatment? You should call the station and see what they'll do about an after-the-fact report.

Glad you're ok, though. When I heard, my first thought was, "OH NO, NOT BUMBLE!"

Anonymous said...

YOU MUST CALL THE COPS AND REPORT THIS! I know you're trying to be nice, but you really should call and report it. Tough shit for him he hit you and his insurance is going to skyrocket. Take it from me who has now been in medical treatment for 6 months since my car accident!

I hope you feel better. GO to the doctor and get some vicodin. It mixed well with wine ;)